Tuesday, October 30, 2012

coach outlet online   The newcomer glared round at the valet

  The newcomer glared round at the valet.
  "Take these!" he ordered peremptorily, pointing to the books underhis arm.
  Fisher hastened to obey and noted with some wonder that thevisitor did not attempt to assist him either by loosening his holdof the volumes or raising his hand. Accidentally the valet's handpressed against the other's sleeve and he received a shock, forthe forearm was clearly an artificial one. It was against awooden surface beneath the sleeve that his knuckles struck, andthis view of the stranger's infirmity was confirmed when the otherreached round with his right hand, took hold of the gloved lefthand and thrust it into the pocket of his overcoat.
  "Where is Kara?" growled the stranger.
  "He will be back very shortly, sir," said the urbane Fisher.
  "Out, is he?" boomed the visitor. "Then I shan't wait. What thedevil does he mean by being out? He's had three years to be out!""Mr. Kara expects you, sir. He told me he would be in at sixo'clock at the latest.""Six o'clock, ye gods'." stormed the man impatiently. "What dogam I that I should wait till six?"He gave a savage little tug at his beard.
  "Six o'clock, eh? You will tell Mr. Kara that I called. Give methose books.""But I assure you, sir, - " stammered Fisher.
  "Give me those books!" roared the other.
  Deftly he lifted his left hand from the pocket, crooked the elbowby some quick manipulation, and thrust the books, which the valetmost reluctantly handed to him,air jordans for sale, back to the place from whence hehad taken them.
  "Tell Mr. Kara I will call at my own time - do you understand, atmy own time. Good morning to you.""If you would only wait, sir," pleaded the agonized Fisher.
  "Wait be hanged," snarled the other. "I've waited three years, Itell you. Tell Mr. Kara to expect me when he sees me!"He went out and most unnecessarily banged the door behind him,cheap moncler clerance.
  Fisher went back to the library. The girl was sealing up someletters as he entered and looked up.
  "I am afraid, Miss Holland, I've got myself into very serioustrouble.""What is that, Fisher!" asked the girl.
  "There was a gentleman coming to see Mr. Kara, whom Mr. Karaparticularly wanted to see.""Mr. Gathercole," said the girl quickly.
  Fisher nodded.
  "Yes, miss, I couldn't get him to stay though."She pursed her lips thoughtfully.
  "Mr. Kara will be very cross, but I don't see how you can help it.
  I wish you had called me,""He never gave a chance, miss," said Fisher, with a little smile,"but if he comes again I'll show him straight up to you."She nodded.
  "Is there anything you want; miss?" he asked as he stood at thedoor.
  "What time did Mr. Kara say he would be back?""At six o'clock, miss,chanel classic bags," the man replied.
  "There is rather an important letter here which has to bedelivered.""Shall I ring up for a messenger?""No, I don't think that would be advisable. You had better takeit yourself."Kara was in the habit of employing Fisher as a confidentialmessenger when the occasion demanded such employment.
  "I will go with pleasure, miss," he said.
  It was a heaven-sent opportunity for Fisher, who had beeninventing some excuse for leaving the house. She handed him theletter and he read without a droop of eyelid the superscription"T. X. Meredith, Esq., Special Service Dept., Scotland Yard,Whitehall."He put it carefully in his pocket and went from the room tochange. Large as the house was Kara did not employ a regularstaff of servants. A maid and a valet comprised the whole of theindoor staff. His cook, and the other domestics, necessary forconducting an establishment of that size, were engaged by the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment